I’ve had my braids in for a little over a week and I can definitely see some growth coming in already. A slight problem that I am having is an itchy scalp.
I know that this is a problem for me because my hair is used to being washed every week. I am trying to go as long as I can without washing because I don’t want to ruin the structure of the braids but I want to know how to cure this itchy scalp.
I have found some alternative methods and possible reasons why some may have itchy scalp.
RELATED | 4 Natural Hair Products That Leave Your Hair Smelling Unbelievably Fresh
What’s causing the problem?
- It may just be time to wash your hair. Are you over due?
- Take a look at the weather. Is it bitterly cold or very hot outside? This may have an impact on how much moisture your hair retains
- If you are wearing extensions and if so, what type of hair is it? They could be causing an allergic reaction
- Are you moisturizing your scalp enough with light products, like oils?
- Are you using heavy products on your scalp like Shea butter or creams? Buildup can cause an irritated scalp.
- Is your hair styled too tightly?
- Are you on any type of medication?
- You could simply wash your hair with your regular shampoo. Be sure to follow up with a conditioner.
- Using Tea Tree oil or pure aloe vera (juice or gel) as a soother. You can apply it to your scalp or add some to a spray bottle filled with water.
- Take a look at some of the ingredients in your hair products. Some products are filled with chemicals and fillers that dry the hair and scalp – learn how to make your own all-natural products at home.