We are in the middle of a global pandemic and some of the biggest preventative measures are interrupting our normal routines like going to the gym.
However, even in these uncertain times, maintaining your health should be of the utmost importance. This may be a perfect time to pick something new to keep healthy, like beginning a running routine this spring.
I would like to share five tips to incorporate running as a way to start or continue a healthy lifestyle.
- Shoes and Bras. My first suggestion to get started is to get a gait analysis for shoes and properly fitted for a bra. Although most stores are closing, there are a few local running stores still open and willing to help. I am sure they will gladly assist with both.
- Start small. Running is a discipline that you build over time. Be mindful that you may not be able to run for a long period of time or very far in the beginning. That’s okay! Try running intervals which is simply picking a set amount of time to run followed by walking. For example, run for 30 seconds followed by 1 minute walking.
- Use a training plan. A training plan takes the guesswork out of what you should be doing. Try a couch to 5k (3.1 miles) program. There are plenty of apps that you can choose from.
- Find an accountability partner. You may not be able to meet in person; however, having a virtual accountability partner is just as important as having an in-person partner. Create challenges for yourself and some friends.
- Find a why. As with any new habit you have to give your choice meaning and intention. Find a good reason to get out! Plus, it will help you maintain your mental health as well.
Want more healthy living tips? Visit our Healthy Living section for more.
Sign up for the ClassyCurlies Mailing List