Your skin is your biggest organ, and it’s the place of your body that’s going to see every element and every part of climate change. It feels the wind, it feels sunburn when the sun is too hot and it feels the chap of the wind as it goes too fast. Your hair will shed in cycles before regrowth, and the more you pay attention to it, the more you will see that it changes over time. It can change from being a normal texture to a dry texture, it can change from being your regular hair colour to gray. Both skin and hair go through multiple changes multiple times a year if not every week.
If you are not investing well enough in your skin or hair you’re going to notice when you need to make even bigger changes than usual. Some people choose to get massages with different oils and moisturizers to keep their skin hydrated, where others will invest in dermaplane and chemical peels. Some people choose to get a perm for hair colour change, and they even choose to chemically relax it to make a big difference to the way that their hair looks and feels. Investment in your skin and hair is possibly the best thing that you can do for yourself if you are looking to look after your body. But what if you’re not looking after it? What are the signs you’re not investing enough? We’ve got a list of those for you below.
- Your skin keeps breaking out. A good sign that you’re not spending enough money on your skin care routine is that your skin keeps reacting and breaking out in spots or red raw rashes. There are plenty of reasons that you can suffer break outs, and they can happen even if you take excellent care of your skin. Hormones have a lot to answer for, but if break outs are becoming a regular thing it’s a good sign you’re not keeping your face clean enough. It could also mean that you’re not changing your pillowcase enough, because if you have a great cleansing routine but your skin keeps breaking out, it’s likely because you’re still sleeping on a dirty pillowcase every night. Can I hear an ew?
- You are still towel drying your hair. Most people give their hair a squeeze with a towel when they come out of the shower to get rid of the excess, but did you know that you could be damaging your hair when you do that? A good way to invest in your hair is to make sure that you have spent money on the right dryers. When you use a towel roughly on your hair, you not only compromise the cuticles, you can end up with your hair breaking. It’s so much better to pat your hair dry with a towel before you apply different products and blow dry it. If you don’t take care of your hair properly, you’re going to end up in the salon more often than not which is going to cost you more cash overall. Investing in the right products and drying equipment now will help you later.
- Your skin is stinging. Usually, we only experience stinging skin when it’s been sunburned. If your skin is burning and you haven’t been in the sun, then something is very wrong. The potential here is that the products you have been using are irritating your skin, or they’re too cheap which means your skin is reacting to it. You need to make sure that you have your skin looked over by a dermatologist because they will be able to give you direction on which products you should be using. Getting a facial done by an expert is a good way to assess what kind of skin type you have, and what type of products would be best on your skin surface.
- You don’t read the ingredients in your hair products. When was the last time you took a look at what was in your shampoo, conditioner or hair oil? There are some chemicals that can cause some long term damage to your hair, and if you have any kind of pride in the way that your hair looks, or you love the way it feels when you make it look good, you need to make sure you are feeding it nourishing ingredients and not punishing it with harsh chemicals. You will be using hair products day after day, so your hair may look damaged if you have enough chemicals in products. If you are noticing your hair is looking damaged, you need to stop using what you are using and change your products and invest properly.
- Your skin and hair are drying out. We all go through cycles with our skin, so if you notice you have some dry patches more than usual it’s a good chance it is just in that cycle. However, if you are failing to moisturize your skin properly it’s going to be very noticeable. Taking proper care of your skin is so important. You could even dry out your skin if you exfoliate too much, so while you want to be exfoliating you want to make sure that you aren’t going too overboard or being too rough. If your hair is drying out, you need to look a bit closely at your diet. Protein is what helps your hair to grow and feel thick and shiny, and if your diet is lacking in protein you are going to notice because you’re going to wear it on your head.
- You feel the need to wash your hair every day. It’s nice to have a shower every day, but you shouldn’t be washing it. Washing your hair should only be done once or twice per week because your hair does need the natural oils. When you wash your hair too much, you will strip your hair of the natural oils and then the oils will go into overdrive and make you look like you dipped your hair in grease. You want your hair to look thick and shiny, which means you need to get over the grease stage for a couple of days, and then you need to allow your hair to remain healthier and feel fed by the natural oils.